Sunday, May 1, 2011

This will be a Blog about slow, thoughtful games.

There are many types of games in the world. I'm personally a fan of fast paced games where the speed of ones reactions are a central part of the game play. This blog will center on games and activities that give the brain more time to think and plan. 

Personaly I enjoy that moment when I make a move that cements my victory over an opponent, moreso if it takes time for the reality to dawn on my opponent. OVer the next few months I will share and showcase games I find to be the very best at engaging, strategic gameplay. I have a large number of titles I plan on sharing. Feel free to share any titles you would like me to showcase. 

Here is a list of games I plan on sharign in the near future. 

SMAC
Blood Bowl
League of Legends
Twilight Struggle
Total Annihilation
Warhammer
Magic The Gathering


This week I'm going to talk about my favorite game, Alpha Centauri.




Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (SMAC) is a very popular science fiction turn-based strategy video game thats an indirect sequel to the Civilization series. Set in the 22nd century, the game begins as seven competing ideological factions land on the planet Chiron ("Planet") in the Alpha Centauri star system. Alpha Centauri features improvements on Civilization II's game engine, including simultaneous multiplay, social engineering, climate, customizable units, alien native life, additional diplomatic and spy options, additional ways to win, and greater mod-ability.

What is impressive to me is the massive amount of options avalible. Unlike other civ games you can customize your units:


Customize your social system:


Have many, many Terraforming options:



And command a robust spying system:



This week Ill go over the details of this game and why it has such a dominant score on Metacritic and why it's the best Turn based civ game ever made.

9 comments:

  1. i loved this game back in the days, ascendancy wasn't bad either

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never played the game, looks interesting though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good game, especially the infrastructure building is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's anything like Civilization then I'm probably going to check this wicked game out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if i will have any spare time i will give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awesome, I should try it one time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge League of Legends player/fan, can't wait to hear your thoughts on LoL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks interesting im gonna look into this some more

    ReplyDelete